UNICEF Innovation Center / Global Innovation Lab Uganda
TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
Project/Assignment Title: System Administrator
Level: Equivalent to GS-7 (Consultancy)
Duration: 11.5 months
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda (Mbuya Innovation lab)
In January 2014, UNICEF has set up a cross-sectoral Global Innovation Centre. The vision of the newly established Global Innovation Centre is enabling exponential change in reducing inequities and achieving programme effectiveness and results for children. It focuses on innovations that benefit the most deprived people, and the areas with the highest level of inequity, specifically focusing on technologies, tools and solutions that can be deployed and used in remote areas and by people who do not have access to feature technology.
UNICEF´s Innovation Centre focuses on development and global scale of generic solutions, and in close collaboration with UNICEF Country Offices supports the set-up and roll-out of those innovations, specifically in the following main areas:
- Real-time information: Development and scale-up of innovations to provide real-time information to UNICEF programs and increase transparency and accountability. Including RapidPro, mTrac, eduTrac, mHERO, uReport, End-use Supply monitoring, uTalk, etc.
- Access to information and Quality Learning: Development and scale-up innovative solutions to provide improved access to information and quality education. Including Digital Kiosk, Mobistation, uPortal, etc.
- Youth engagement: Scale-up of uReport and partnerships to promote youth engagement
- Other innovations: Continue to develop concepts and prototype innovative applications in new, emerging areas.
In order to provide support during the development and prototyping of the above mentioned solutions, UNICEF Innovation Lab Uganda desires to recruit a System Administrator to install, support and maintain all LINUX based servers and applications necessary for both, the further roll-out of the above mentioned innovations in Uganda (in partnership with the UNICEF Uganda Country Office) plus any test environments needed to further scale and pilot server based applications, such as RapidPro.
Purpose of Assignment:
As the System Administrator of the UNICEF Global Innovation Lab, assist in:
- Administration of all cloud-based and local server infrastructure run by the UNICEF Innovation Centre for prototyping and piloting its Innovations
- Support the administration of the local server infrastructure setup for prototyping and scale-up of new Innovations at the UNICEF Uganda Country Office
- Carry out all necessary tasks for maintenance, data backup and trouble-shooting of the local server infrastructure and provide recommendations for new upgrades when necessary.
- Setup, configuration and maintenance of local or cloud-based server systems for new applications where necessary
- Provide support and advise on cloud-hosted solutions to further scale UNICEF´s web-based applications
- Carry out research on latest updates and new applications to increase accessibility, scalability and efficiency of existing systems
- Provide advice and support around all aspects of the network infrastructure run by the UNICEF Innovation Centre, including cloud and local hosting services, MNO integration, physical infrastructure, domain registration, etc.
- Support specific server based tasks for new innovations and integration with test environments
- Manage and maintain the office network, firewall and IT equipment of the Innovation lab
- Monthly payment based on outputs to deliverables, certified upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his/her own health insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard in- and out-of-country DSA for all work-related travel.
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required for the assignment:
Education and experience:
- Completion of Secondary education supplemented with formal training in Computer Science, Engineering,Network administration or telecommunication technology; or equivalent practical experience
- Formal and/or informal training experience in Database Management Systems (DBMS), Linux and windows system administration, maintenance, design, analysis, and management of scalable web services.
- Setup, administration and maintenance of Linux servers (especially Ubuntu servers) including virtualization tools such as ProxMoxSetup, administration and maintenance of WSGI application servers and web server systems (including Apache, Lighttpd, Nginx.
- At least seven years of experience in information technology, including systems administration and operations, network computing with minimum two years of experience in PostgreSQL, MySQL, MS SQL Database Systems
- Internet connectivity and networking technology (including DHCP, DNSmasq, iptables)
- Familiar with ProxMox hardware virtualization tools
- Residence in Kampala, Uganda, for duration of contract
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications, including Cover letter, expected monthly rate in UGX, P11 and CV with Subject “System Administrator” to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 27 July 2015. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted