Terms of Reference
Title: RapidPro Community Manager + Deployment Consultant, Global Innovation Centre
Duration: 11.5 months
Duty Station: UNICEF Global Innovation Lab, Kampala, Uganda
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P3 / NO-C)
Since 2007, UNICEF has been a global leader in leveraging technology to advance development goals. Initially a small team within the Division of Communications, UNICEF Innovation currently exists as a highly distributed network of innovation labs, designers, developers, programme managers, academics and private-sector partners. The team focuses on:
- Identifying program needs and linking them to innovative technologies and methodologies;
- Building the capacity of programme colleagues at the country, regional and global levels, enabling them to identify and assess opportunities for the use of innovations;
- Advising government counterparts;
- Creating and strengthening partnerships, and supporting capacity building with local and regional stakeholders;
- Managing the design and development of software and hardware products;
- Supporting the roll-out of innovative programmes and initiatives.
In January 2014, UNICEF created the cross-sectoral Global Innovation Centre. Based in Nairobi, Kenya, the vision of the Centre is to create transformative outcomes in reducing inequities and achieving programme effectiveness. It focuses on innovations that benefit the most marginalized people, using technologies, tools and solutions that can be deployed in remote areas and by people who do not have access to feature technology.
As part of this effort, the Global Innovation Centre recently launched RapidPro – a globally supported communication engine that will power the majority of UNICEF’s mobile services. With the strong uptake of RapidPro by country offices and UNICEF partners, the Global Innovation Centre looks to build a wealth of resource content and a user community portal for anyone from any background to learn, explore, share, and contribute to the use and evolution of RapidPro.
The consultant will mainly work with UNICEF Country Offices and support the roll-out of RapidPro. Furthermore the consultant will also manage the development of online resources for RapidPro (rapidpro.io, courses, toolkit, case studies, etc) and create the framework for managing a growing community of RapidPro within and external to UNICEF.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
To work as RapidPro Community Manager and Deployment Consultant,
- responsible for supporting UNICEF Country Offices, Regional Offices, and other interested sections in training, designing and deploying RapidPro for UNICEF programming where appropriate and according to specific needs of country programs.
- Manage content and user activity on the RapidPro community website – including outreach to users and technology firms for submitting new case studies, submitting company profiles to the Marketplace, and submitting blog entries on news, tips, and announcements related to RapidPro
- Support the global roll-out of real-time monitoring systems based on RapidPro, including the End User Monitoring System, based on prioritization and guidance provided by the Senior Innovation Deployment Specialist
- Oversee and coordinate the specific roll-out of RapidPro-based programs and other new innovations together with UNICEF Country offices, including initial assessments, orientation workshops, design and business analysis, on-site and remote support, setup and advise in contracting needs
- Coordinate with Technical Writer in keeping RapidPro knowledge base up to date, and moderate user forums
- Monitor progress on RapidPro roll-out and report upcoming country deployments
- Prepare ToR, project proposals, fundraising documents and presentation materials for RapidPro and other new innovations
- Prepare regular progress and final project reports
- Provide support towards RFP, LTA and contracting processes, and coordinate with external suppliers
- Prepare one-pagers and presentation materials for RapidPro remote orientations and on-site workshops
- Hold remote orientations and demonstrations on RapidPro to UNICEF Country Offices and partners
- Facilitate workshops together with UNICEF programs and partners, introducing RapidPro and developing real-time monitoring solutions
- Provide support and facilitate the development of business analysis, formulation of specific use-cases and program designs for RapidPro deployments
- Manage content and user exchanges on RapidPro community site
- Prepare Terms of Reference for RapidPro installations, including software development and SMS aggregator services
- Provide program specific support & maintenance efforts for RapidPro deployments
- Elevate common feature needs on RapidPro to RapidPro product manager
- Provide monthly country deployment progress reports for RapidPro and associated apps
- Develop End User Monitoring product overview and user manual
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Advanced university degree in Information Systems Management, Computer Science, International Affairs, International Relations, International Development, Business Management, or related practical experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience managing, designing and implementing solutions for large-scale technical projects, including supervising engineers and software developers, responsibility for budgets, contracts and procurement, etc.
- Experience with technology related projects in a development context and/or the UN
- Proven skills in training, management, and strategic thinking
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan, and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills
- Ability to travel (specifically to facilitate on-site trainings and workshops with UNICEF Country Offices)
- Fluency in written and verbal English is a must; competence in at least one other UN language is preferred
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications, including Cover letter, expected monthly rate (gross rate including any allowances), P11 and CV with Subject “RapidPro Deployment Consultant” to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 11 August 2015. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/innovation