Title: Senior Innovation Deployment Specialist
Global Innovation Centre
Duration: 3 months
Duty Station: remote, South Africa
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P4)
In January 2014, UNICEF set up a cross-sectoral Global Innovation Centre. The vision of the newly established Global Innovation Centre is enabling exponential change in reducing inequities and achieving programme effectiveness and results for children. It focuses on innovations that benefit the most deprived people, and the areas with the highest level of inequity, specifically focusing on technologies, tools and solutions that can be deployed and used in remote areas and by people who do not have access to feature technology.
UNICEF´s Innovation Centre focuses on development and global scale of generic solutions, and in close collaboration with UNICEF Country Offices supports the set-up and roll-out of those innovations, specifically in the following main areas:
- Real-time information: Development and scale-up of innovations to provide real-time information to UNICEF programs and increase transparency and accountability. Including RapidPro, mTrac, eduTrac, mHERO, U-Report, End-use Supply monitoring, uTalk, etc.
- Access to information and Quality Learning: Development and scale-up innovative solutions to provide improved access to information and quality education. Including Digital Kiosk, Mobistation, uPortal, etc.
- Youth engagement: Scale-up of U-Report and partnerships to promote youth engagement
- Other innovations: Continue to develop concepts and prototype innovative applications in new, emerging areas.
In order to achieve this, UNICEF Innovation center seeks to hire a Senior Innovation Deployment Specialist, who can specifically provide strategic guidance and support towards global deployment and roll-out of Innovations across UNICEF.
The consultant will work with UNICEF Country Offices and support the programmatic and technical deployment of RapidPro and other globally-supported innovations. Furthermore, the consultant will support the identification, conceptualization and prototyping of new innovations based on new programmatic demands from UNICEF and partners, as well as emerging trends and opportunities in the innovation for development space. As the Senior Innovation Specialist, the consultant will therefore need to work with multiple projects, partners, vendors and ongoing as well as new initiatives simultaneously.
Targeted and intensive support will be provided to the UNICEF South Africa CO throughout the assignment to ensure effective deployment of key innovations identified as priority by the SACO.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
To work as the Senior Innovation Deployment Specialist in a team of Innovators, including hardware and software engineers, project managers, designers, and others:
- Responsible for devising and overseeing the implementation of UNICEF Innovation deployment support model for UNICEF and partners at the country level
- Coordinate with Innovation Unit counterparts in New York and San Francisco to ensure alignment and leveraging of respective partnerships and Country Office engagements
- Support the global roll-out of real-time monitoring systems based on RapidPro and related tools, with a focus on priority countries with complex development and humanitarian programming environments
- Oversee and coordinate improvements in the process and products/tools for supporting the deployment of key innovations by UNICEF and partners, including initial assessments, technical contracts with external vendors, orientation workshops, design and business analysis, on-site and remote support, and oversight of user community management
- Monitor progress on country-level deployments, including regular updates to UNICEF Innovation management and public documentation of key milestones
- Prepare regular progress and final project reports
- Represent UNICEF Innovation during high level visits and development partner meetings (Working Groups, Task Forces, etc) when requested
- Across the above areas, provide intensive support to UNICEF South Africa Country Office to (a) ensure effective deployment of key innovations and (b) document approach to inform future refinement of innovation deployment support model.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- University degree in a relevant field; or related practical experience
- At least 7 years of experience supporting and coordinating project activities across a large organization and with other international development organizations.
- Proven experience in translating complex ideas from various fields into unified, clear guidance.
- Progressively responsible professional work experience in relevant field, some of which should be in an international setting.
- A strong understanding of UNICEF programmes, policy, and principles, including knowledge of communication, technology, user-centered design
- Proven ability to manage relationships with UNICEF partners, including universities, UN organizations, NGOs and the private sector.
- Proven skills in communication, networking, strategic thinking, advocacy, negotiation, and ability to relate this to new media and young people.
- Proven capacity to work with and lead collaborative teams across different locations and with different technical skills
- Experience managing projects with strong technology components
- Strong writing and communication skills and the aptitude to handle competing messages and priorities with multiple audiences
- Experience working in complex, resource poor contexts is a plus
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications with Subject “Senior Innovation Deployment Specialist” to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 3 March 2016.
Applications must include the following:
- Cover letter
- P11 (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc)
- expected monthly rate (total / all-inclusive rate)
Incomplete applications will be disqualified. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.