Job Number: 494254 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Consultancy
In 2014, UNICEF procured $3.3 billion worth of supplies and services from all over the world on behalf of governments and other partners to address the needs of children. Much of UNICEF Supply Division’s (SD) work focuses on working with suppliers and a range of partners to ensure the availability of life-saving products. SD’s work in product innovation enables the development of new products or the improvement of existing ones, hereby ensuring value for money and the availability of fit for purpose and value for money products that can benefit children around the world.
UNICEF Supply Division is seeking a consultant to supplement the work of the SD Innovation Unit (IU) in the position of “Innovation Project Consultant” to manage a number of Product Innovation Projects in the area of Medicines and Nutrition.
The office requires an experienced project manager to drive product innovation through scoping, field trialling and scaling up of Product Innovation Projects in close collaboration with different UNICEF offices as well as with external collaborators. In addition the consultant will be working on a number of Enabling Projects, which are about improving the foundation for product innovation.
Purpose of the Assignment:
The purpose of this full-time consultancy is to support SD Innovation Unit and Medicines and Nutrition Centre (MNC) in the area of product innovation.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Innovation Unit, the consultant’s duties and responsibilities will be split into two areas:
- Product Innovation Projects: Anchored primarily in SD’s MNC, the consultant will drive a range of Product Innovation Projects (PIPs) that improve UNICEF’s programmatic activities.
- Enabling Projects: Using knowledge gained from the development of PIPs the Innovation Project Consultant will work with creating tools and processes that will enable the acceleration of product innovation across UNICEF.
Product innovation projects (80% time allocation)
MNC and potentially other product innovation projects
- Manage the current portfolio of SD’s Medicines and Nutrition PIPs (travel may be required) including:
- Eco-friendly RUTF Sachet.
- Amoxicillin Dispensing Envelope
- Height Measurement Board
- Additional PIPs as generated during the course of the contract, these may include:
ii. Paediatric medicine delivery platforms
iii. Innovations related to Breast Feeding.
2. Create project documentation including proposals and presentations to keep the SD Innovation Review Board up to date with MNC PIPs
3. Support and/or conduct end-user needs assessments in programmes or projects aimed at improving access to Medicines and Nutrition supplies and equipment.
4. Creates terms of references (TORs) and shares technical expertise for procurement of products and services to support the development and scale up of product innovation.
5. Conducts market research for innovations, provides analysis, background information, recommendations for improving the suitability and range of products.
6. In collaboration with UNICEF Programme Division, Division of Data, Research and Policy, Regional Advisers, Country offices and other key partners, contributes to the development of Target Product Profiles (TPPs) and product specifications for innovative products and technologies.
7. Plans, collaborates and executes in-country field trials and implementation pilots of innovative products and technologies.
8. Communicate to, and collaborate with developers, suppliers, academia and industry to stimulate markets and drive innovation in this sector with the end goal being availability of products for procurement.
9. Ensure strong connection between Innovation Unit, Medicines and Nutrition Centre within Supply Division, and the community within Medicines and Nutrition globally, with particular focus on UNICEF Programme Division regional and country offices.
Enabling projects (20% time allocation)
Development of tools and processes to enable the acceleration of Product Innovation within the organization.
10. Create tools to document best practices to enable development of products in areas of Medicine and Nutrition.
11. Create other tools and processes as required and requested by the reporting officer.
12. Additional enabling projects as generated during the course of the contract
Qualifications of Successful Candidate:
Education: Has a completed Master Degree in Engineering/Innovation/Public Health/Mirco-biology or in another relevant discipline.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: Has five years professional relevant work experience in the international development setting. Preferred candidate will also have experience in holistic management of product development projects, in particular areas of Medicines and Nutrition for developing regions.
- Experience in planning documenting and conducting field trials in low-resource environments.
- Knowledge of application of innovative Medicines and Nutrition products and technologies in developing countries
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation (M+E) of implemented solutions.
- Knowledge of the environment in which UNICEF operates, and understanding of the constraints of working in difficult geographical locations.
Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential and in another UN language is an advantage.
Competencies of Successful Candidate:
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following competencies that are considered to be necessary to this consultancy:
- Excellent communicator of verbal and written concepts to an international audiences.
- Able to quickly understand instructions, to proactively seek clarification when needed.
- Able to work well in a team environment.
- Able to work independently and problem solving oriented.
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated communication and relationship building skills.
- Proven capacity to work with and lead collaborative teams across different locations and with different technical skills.
- Proven experience in conducting field trials of technically complicated products.
- Proven experience in project management of product innovation.
- Understanding of current innovation trends in terms of technologies in areas of Medicines, Nutrition and Health.
- Experience in budgeting for large scale projects.
- Knowledge of health impact and cost efficiency analysis
- Knowledge of standard MS Office applications (MS Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
UNICEF CORE VALUES
Diversity and Inclusion
Treats all people with dignity and respect; shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, cultural and religious differences; challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace; encourages diversity wherever possible.
Maintains high ethical standards; takes clear ethical stands; keeps promises; immediately addresses untrustworthy or dishonest behaviour; resists pressure in decision-making from internal and external sources; does not abuse power or authority.
Demonstrates commitment to UNICEF’s mission and to the wider UN system; demonstrates the values of UNICEF in daily activities and behaviors; seeks out new challenges, assignments and responsibilities; promotes UNICEF’s cause.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
Duration: 11.5 months Consultancy, full-time.
Location: UNICEF Supply Division, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Start Date: April 2016
Reporting to: Chief Innovation, UNICEF Supply Division, Copenhagen.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit the following:
- Cover letter/application.
- Financial quote for consultancy at a monthly rate in US Dollars excluding all taxes.
- Examples of previous, relevant work.
- Proposed methodology/approach to managing a MNC innovation project.
- P 11 form (which can be downloaded from our website athttp://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_53129.html ).
Applications are to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Innovation Project Manager” by 3 April 2016, 23:59 CET.
Please indicate your availability and monthly rate to undertake the terms of reference above.
Applications submitted without a monthly rate will not be considered.